Over the weekend, news broke that NBC paid money to a female staffer in 1999 who accused MSNBC’s Chris Matthews of sexual harassment, the network kept quiet for a second day about whether there were other women who had accused the longtime host of inappropriate behavior, reports Fox News.
The Daily Caller first reported about the payment on Saturday in which they said Matthews paid $40,000 to the woman who worked on his show “Hardball with Chris Matthews” as an assistant producer.
Representatives at NBC, CNBC and MSNBC did not respond to Fox News emails and calls on both Sunday and Monday requesting comment as to whether other sexual harassment complaints had been filed against Matthews since the payout. NBC confirmed on Sunday that Matthews was issued a reprimand in 1999 after the woman complained to CNBC executives.
“‘An MSNBC spokesperson told NBC News that the execs were told that Matthews made inappropriate jokes and comments about the woman in front of others, that the matter was reviewed and it was determined the comments were inappropriate and made in poor taste but were never meant as propositions. The show was on CNBC before it was on MSNBC,’ reports Fox News.”
The MSNBC spokesperson would not, however, disclose the specific amount that was paid, NBC News reported. Matthews has not responded to comment to Fox news either.
Matthews is just the most recent takedown of news cable hosts that have been discovered this year. Those revelations have specifically hurt NBC pretty badly with popular host Matt Lauer, who was the network’s biggest star and the host of the “Today” show.
Lauer was taken off after he engaged in “inappropriate sexual behavior” with a female colleague over a period of time beginning at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.
NBC also cut ties with political pundit Mark Halperin, 52, in October after he was accused of sexually harassing a dozen women, and senior vice president Matt Zimmerman for failing to report relationships he had with women who worked for him, the Daily Caller reported.
NBC News has reported that there could be as many as eight women accusing Lauer of sexual misconduct. Lauer has expressed “sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused,” while also saying that not all of the accusations are true but what has been said about him is untrue or mischaracterized.
“It’s hard to see how an internal investigation that reports to senior executives would be viewed as complete and transparent when the conduct, or lack of conduct, of senior executives, such as Andrew Lack, necessarily should be an issue,” Cornell University law professor and Legal Insurrection founder William Jacobson said.